Tuesday, January 11, 2005

FSRC-The Experience

After going through one and a half years of classical academic modular of attending lectures and tutorials, rushing through projects while in the process of studying for tests and exams, going through the first phase of the Teaching Enterprise Project was a refreshing and a slower paced learning experience. This practice of knowledge acquirement is none like what I have been through in the past.

During these seven weeks, I understand the importance of building up one’s discipline for his/her own well being as well as training one to encounter what the working world would offer. In our office-like project rooms, majority of the times we were left to work individually and independently, without teachers’ constant supervisions. This obtainment of freedom of workspace allows me to work efficiently in the most diligent and disciplined manner. As this stopover is financial studies-oriented, I have learnt to be more observant of the economy and how volatile the stock market is, as well as how the fluctuations of stocks are largely reliant on the movements of the economy, which in turn, pulsates alongside the happenings of the world. Our world evolves around the financial stability and the instability of the collapse if unfortunate. The international commercial predicament in turn has a domino-like effect on the entire world. This teaches me that acquiring prudence and having a sharp and clear foresight is of great importance. We have to begin young, to realize the importance of wise management of finances and not to take our stability for granted.

I have also gained a greater insight on how risky credit cards may serve. Though the swipe of the card may sound appealing to most, the lack of control is what I fear that may overwhelm the young and the reckless which can shatter anyone to ruins. As I was considering to having one such card for my own, I am having second thoughts, now that I am aware of the risks and consequences that the Masters or Visa may bring.

The skills I have attained include learning how to operate the Bloomberg, which is widely used in most commercial firms to monitor the economy with the most current circulative news made available and accessible, that may affect and have an effect in the stock markets. Using the Bloomberg, I have accomplished learning how to utilize the Bollinger Band and the Japanese Candlestick Index to monitor the economic situation of shares, equities and bonds as well as using these valuable indices to predict future price probabilities of the stocks. It also allows us to review previous stock movements against the Mainboard, which may serve to provide with a clearer and sharper perspective when it comes to decision-makings.

Participating in the Investment Games has given me a headstart to how handling shares would be like. It was definitely an enjoyable process managing an imaginary sun of $100,000 and purchasing lots of stocks with them. There were losses and gains incurred during the process and I found myself enjoying the daily browse of The Business Times to comprehend the upheavals and downfalls of the commercial world and how they may have caused a large impact around international borders. An example would the Singapore-listed China-Based China Aviation Oil. Not only did the company’s shares take a plunge dive into damages; other China listed shares received scrutiny and abandoned-faith amongst investors worldwide, thus causing a rather serious jolt to the Chinese economy. Singapore, having strong partnership ties with China, also underwent the ripple effect of the impact. Such is an example of how unstable and inconsistent the stock market is.